Monday, January 28, 2008

Living in a KID-focused world.

So, a few nights ago I had this big long entry here and then it just disappeared. I've been trying to regain the motivation to type it all out again.

I got to have some much needed time with a good friend and my first glass of wine in over a year and it was one of those nights where we talked about everything you can imagine. We covered our kids, our husbands, the election, sports (we're unique girls!). One topic that has stuck with me though was our discussion of what a kid-centric world we live in nowadays. Being the mom that I am, I like to think I don't fall victim to all society has done to convince us that our kids need everything. Things like snacks formulated just for kids, toilet wipes just for potty-trained kids, even their own soap. I doubt my mom and dad ever bought me a Kool-Aid single to put in my own water bottle! So, yeah, we're talking about how silly it's all gotten really and then I remember me, just the day before, driving to Wal-Mart, while listening to Radio Disney, of course, lugging G and M through the store and stopping to look at a car seat for $40! $40! The car seat we bought 5 years ago when E needed it was $160 and we had done our research - it was the safest one out there. Well, it's not going to make it through one more kiddo, so M is going to need one when she's out of the infant carrier. I talk myself out of the one at Wal-Mart, because surely, it's not good enough or safe enough or something like that. Hello? Did I ever sit in a car seat a day of my childhood? I know car seats are much safer, I just think it's funny the transition society has made. And apparently, taken me along for the ride.

I've received nuggets of good advice in my lifetime. One, particularly, came from my mom close to my wedding day. She told me to always remember to keep my relationship with God #1 in my life, the relationship with my husband #2 and my kids, if I were ever to have any, #3. I pretty much thought she was crazy. Gradually, however, I've come around and find myself giving the same advice to many around me. God doesn't desire for me to live as a mom in this world, with my life revolving around my kids. He desires for me to live my life revolving around Him and promises that if I do that, I will be providing for my kids out of His love. Or better yet, He'll be the One to provide for His kids - the ones He just happened to loan me for this lifetime. I like that way better. Most of the time.

No comments: